The Record Blog is the coolest independent site for pop music. We provide our readers with our savvy takes on new releases, including songs, videos, albums, as well as exclusive interviews and gigs. This is for those who crave for great music and awesome curated content. For inquiries, please email us at therecordblog@gmail.com.

Saturday, October 10, 2015

LP Review | Selena Gomez - Revival

Selena Gomez
Revival
Interscope
Release date: October 9, 2015

By Shawal Ras


This former Disney star has gracefully transitioned into a full-grown and confident woman with her second solo studio album, Revival.

Gracing the cover in semi-nude, Revival is surprisingly not about sex, but it’s all about making a bold statement about self-discovery, independence, and love.

Anyway, I'm kicking off my review with a negative tone. I have three tracks listed under my hate list; the opener, 'Revival', mid-album ballad ‘Camouflage’, and the final supposedly-uplifting ‘Rise’. IMO, I think these tracks don't fit really well within this LP. I mean, checkout 'Rise'; ideally, it's a great track to close the album but it came out as cheesy af.

BUTTTTTT!

The rest of the album is kinda dope. Kicking it all off is the second track, ‘Kill ‘em with Kindness’. Boasted with whistle hook the moment the beat drops, SelGo took the high road in this by making a stance about cyber-bullying and not flipping the middle finger.

Another one of my favs is ‘Sober’. It’s a track about being socially awkward (you think the topic is weird? Checkout Lorde’s Pure Heroine!) and I personally think it got this whole massive-hit written all over it.

Well-executed ‘Hands to Myself’ is also my fav. Produced by Max Martin and Mattman & Robin, this one is an addictive track. It is filled with hooks and I just can’t get it outta my mind. With the right promo push and on-lit emvee, this could potentially be her next hit single.

Other than what I’ve mentioned above, ‘Me & the Rhythm’ and ‘Same Old Love’ are also among my favs from Revival.

But nothing can be compared to my ultimate numero uno single from this album; ‘Good For You’. This sensual mid-tempo jam was released mid this year and has been lauded as the most unexpected summer hit. It’s understated, sexy, and a perfect opener to her brand new era. 

Cumulatively, Revival is no revolutionary record, but it’s an immaculate collection of a maturing starlet and is a great production from Gomez and her team. There’s a lot to love from this LP and I’m sure you’ll too. 

Revival is out now via Interscope.

UPDATE: A para from this review has been deleted 'cos both Selena and Demi Lovato are awesome and the writer (me!) thinks he should never ever pit two women against one another. My sincerest apology, people. 


Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars.